Engines tend to fail prematurely and companies are intent on finding a solution to this problem as the replacement and downtime costs keep mounting up. Roller bearings are used in almost every engine and ensure that it works smoothly. Thus, increased vibration detected in a bearing alarms the engineers that the engine's condition is deteriorating and the bearing must be replaced before the catastrophe strikes. Needless to say, it is considerably cheaper than substituting an entire engine. So we have created a tablet app for quick and easy vibration signals processing enabling you to detect macro defects in rotary mechanisms and keep tabs on its work. Note it can also be used
- to process economic data (exchange rate, oil price fluctuations, etc.)
- to analyse geophysical processes (temperature series, amount of precipitation and so on).
However, it is primarily applied to analyse vibrations. The app allows
- stationary processing of oscillations and different signals (mechanical, acoustic,vibration and other)
- estimating stationary characteristics of vibrations and calculating the root mean square (RMS) value of the signal
- correlation analysis of the structure of recorded oscillations, particularly the increase in the selected area of the signal, which, in turn, is conducive to evaluating the relation between the signal and the noise, computing the power of the recorded signal and receiving additional information about the structure of oscillations.
What is the significance of this app? What distinguishes it from the other methods of vibration diagnosis?
It incorporates all three key components required for vibration analysis: correlation and spectral analyses, and calculation of signal parameters.
It is cross platform (Windows, Linux and so on). As you can imagine, processing so much data can be too time-consuming and for that reason we decided to write the app in the low level languages C/C++. Furthermore, we have used Qt to enable easy compiling for other operating systems.
It is available for commercial use. We also perform diagnosis personally: we measure the signals of roller bearings and subsequently process the obtained data on powerful computers using our state-of-the-art software.
What effects will it have on your business? The main benefit is that you will save on downtimes and outages because the app allows you to find defects in a timely manner. Furthermore, complex calculations will become a thing of the past. All you need is to enter the measurements. Finally, it gives a good return on your investment.
In the coming months, we will launch another app that calculates not only vibrations but also noises, i.e., both macro and micro defects. Stay tuned. We are eagerly waiting for your feedback.